Thick and decadent hazelnut sauce recipe for topping ice cream. You could also use this hazelnut sauce in fillings for cakes, pastries, or even in your morning latte.
Hazelnut Sauce Recipe for Ice Cream
Roasted Hazelnut Praline Paste
- 35 g water
- 100 g sugar granulated
- 100 g roasted hazelnuts peeled
- salt pinch
- 100 g hazelnut praline paste
- 40 g heavy cream
- Roasted ~100 g of hazelnuts at 360 °F for 15 minutes. Remove the skins by using a towel and rubbing them until most of the skins have come off. Try removing all of them, but get as much as possible off of the hazelnuts.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and begins boiling. Stop stirring the saucepan and let it boil until it becomes an amber-golden color.
- Do not overcook the caramel. It will become quite a darker brown if you overcook it.
- Get a baking pan ready with a silicone baking mat lining it. Once your caramel sauce is finished, remove it from heat. Pour the hazelnuts into your caramel sauce until they are fully covered.
- Pour the hazelnut and caramel sauce onto the silicone baking mat. Let it cool to room temperature, it will solidify.
- Break the caramel into smaller pieces. Place them into a food processor. Blend on low, then on high. Scrape the sides down and blend until it becomes a paste. It will be LOUD. Prepare yourself!
- Measure 100g hazelnut paste into a heat proof bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream over medium heat until it just before it comes to a boil.
- Remove the cream from heat and pour into the hazelnut paste. Mix until full combined. Let it come to room temperature, then place it in the fridge for an hour until it thickens.
- Store it in the fridge for 1 week or freeze and keep it for 1 month.
What is praline paste made of?
Praline paste is made of caramel (sugar and water) and roasted hazelnuts, then it’s blended into a paste.
What does praline mean?
Praline means to cover hazelnuts in caramel sauce.
Can you freeze praline paste?
Yes, you can freeze praline paste and thaw it in a couple of hours at room temperature.
What to do with leftover praline paste?
You can make a praline base for a cake by easily adding 60g praline paste, 35g melted dark chocolate, and 35g of rice krispies. Place the base in a springform pan using the back of a spoon to push it into place. Put it in the freezer for 1 hour to let it solidify.