Simple pretzel dough recipe that you can make at home in about 20 minutes plus baking time.
Top your pretzel dough with your favorite toppings before baking.
What do you put on top of pretzels?
- pizza sauce and cheese
- parmesan cheese
- sesame seeds
- sesame seeds, poppy seeds, coarse salt
- cinnamon and sugar
Pretzel Dough Recipe
- 600 ml flour
- 15 ml yeast
- 15 ml sugar
- 2 ml salt
- 250 ml water warm (105-115 degrees F)
- to taste coarse sea salt
- 1 egg optional (for egg wash)
- In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast, sugar, salt and water. Let stand for 5 min until yeast blooms (becomes frothy).
- Pour yeast mixture into 500 ml of flour. Mix together. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead for 5-7 min adding flour as needed (~100 ml flour). Knead your dough until smooth and elastic.
- Your pretzel dough is ready to be rolled out and shaped. You can do an egg wash to your pretzels if you want more of a shiny look to them. Beat an egg with a fork and then brush egg onto your pretzels. Add coarse salt to your pretzels before baking.
- Bake 15-20 min. Pretzels should be lightly browned. Serve immediately.