Cabbage slaw for tacos is made with an avocado crema sauce which is added to a combination of red and green cabbage.
How to use cabbage slaw on your taco
Cabbage coleslaw with avocado cream sauce is the base of the taco. It should be the first food you place on the taco.
Then you can add your vegetables or meat on top of the cabbage slaw for your taco.
The topping for your taco will go on last, this would be guacamole, salsa, sour cream, etc.
You can even add the avocado crema on top of your meat to act as a sauce for your taco. It has a strong lime crema flavor that gives tacos a burst of lime flavor.
What kind of tacos can you use cabbage coleslaw with
- shrimp tacos
- cauliflower tacos
- pulled pork tacos
- chicken tacos
- fish tacos
How do you cut cabbage for tacos
- Remove the outer most layer of cabbage and discard.
- Cut the cabbage in half making note where the center of the cabbage stem is. Cut in the center to separate the stem.
- Cut the cabbage half in half again to create a cabbage quarter.
- Cut the corner of the cabbage to remove the hard stem.
- Slice the cabbage into small thin strips.
- Slice until you’ve cut the whole quarter into strips of cabbage that are about the size you want for your coleslaw.
- Add your sauce to your coleslaw. Mix well until the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Spoon your cabbage slaw onto your taco and continue layering with your other foods for your taco.
Creamy Cabbage Slaw for Tacos
- Food processor
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt 5-10% fat content or Greek
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 red cabbage sliced thin
- 1/4 green cabbage sliced thin
- 1/3 cup carrots grated
- Cut avocado in half. Remove the pit and scoop out the insides of the avocado. Place the insides of the avocado in a food processor.
- Add cilantro, garlic, lime juice, yogurt, olive oil, and salt to the food processor.
- Pulse only for 1 second at a time. Pulse until the avocado lime crema sauce comes together. It should take about 8-12 pulses before the avocado lime crema sauce is ready.
- Prepare cabbage and add to a large bowl. Add carrots and mix until evenly distributed.
- Take a few spoonful's of your cabbage mixture for your tacos – 1/3 cup for each taco approximately.
- Add a couple of spoonful's of avocado lime crema sauce to the cabbage. Mix until the sauce coats all of the pieces of cabbage.
- You cabbage slaw is all ready to use in your tacos.