Decorating chocolate chip cookies is a fun way to dress up your cookies.
Some of the decorating examples involve the cookies needing to be laid flat, and not stacked for storage purposes.
Make sure you have a big enough storage container for all of your decorated chocolate chip cookies before beginning.
How to decorate chocolate chip cookies with sprinkles
- Bake your chocolate chip cookies. As soon as the cookies are placed on the cooling rack, toss your sprinkles on top of the chocolate chip cookie.
- The heat from the cookie will let the sprinkles adhere to the cookie.
How to decorate chocolate chip cookies with frosting and sprinkles
- Make your favorite vanilla or chocolate buttercream frosting to top your chocolate chip cookies with.
- Add any food coloring you wish to the buttercream icing (vanilla buttercream).
- Let your chocolate chip cookies come to room temperature. You do not want to frost the cookies if they are too warm, or the frosting will melt on the cookie.
- You can use a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip, or use a knife to place your buttercream on the top of the chocolate chip cookie.
- Before the buttercream starts to dry, toss your sprinkles on top of the buttercream icing.
- Buttercream icing will not fully dry, therefore the cookies cannot to be stacked on top of one another. Place the cookies so they are sitting beside one another when storing them.
How to decorate chocolate chip cookies with candy eyes
- Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate in the microwave. It should take about 30 – 45 sec to melt the chocolate. Use a spoon to mix the chocolate until it’s fully melted.
- Use a toothpick to pick up a small amount of chocolate. Place the small amount of chocolate on the chocolate chip cookie where you would like the candy eye to go.
- Place the candy eye on top of the melted chocolate on the cookie, and press down so it “glues” together.
- Let it sit and harden together for 20-30 minutes before stacking the chocolate chip cookies together.
How to decorate chocolate chip cookies to create a cookie monster
- Make your favorite vanilla buttercream icing. Add blue food coloring and mix together.
- Fit a piping bag with the star tip and add your icing to the bag.
- Pipe the icing by placing a small amount of icing on the cookie and lift vertically to create the monster cookie body.
- Pipe the entire cookie this way until the edges are covered.
- Add 2 candy eyes to the cookie. The eyes should be right next to one another. The pupil of the eye should be faced inward to make the cookie monster look crosseyed.
- To create the mouth of the cookie monster you have a couple of options. One way is to break a cookie in half, and place the broken half in the icing. This will make the cookie monster look like he’s eating a cookie. Another option is to create the mouth using icing or melted chocolate. Create the mouth to look like the cookie monster is smiling wide open.
How to decorate chocolate chip cookies with whipped cream
- Only decorate your chocolate chip cookies with whipped cream right before serving, otherwise the whipped cream with melt. Place a chocolate chip cookie on a clean plate. Hold a can of whipping cream in an upside down vertical position right above the cookie.
- Gently place a small amount of whipping cream in the center of the cookie.
- Top the whipping cream cookie with a drizzle of chocolate sauce or caramel sauce.
- Gently hover over the whipped cream and put a couple of sprinkles to finish off the decorated chocolate chip cookie.