Make your own flatbread recipe with yeast in only 1 hour. With about 45 minutes of rising time, you’ll have plenty of time to prepare your flatbread toppings.
You can use just about anything for your toppings that you would use on pizza, as you would on flatbread.
Flatbread toppings to try out:
- balsamic vinegar
- caramelized onions
- sundried tomatoes
What is flatbread pizza
Flatbread pizza is thin crust pizza. Flatbread dough is rolled out to be much thinner, and therefore has a thin crust. Due to the thin crust, flatbread is crispy, whereas pizza is chewy.
Since flatbread has a crispy crust, people usually put different toppings on it than pizza, because it’s more of an appetizer. Usual toppings for flatbread include pesto, sundried tomatoes, BBQ chicken, pineapple, onions, arugula, balsamic vinegar, etc.
How long is flatbread good for
Flatbread dough is good for up to 2 days in the fridge. Cooked flatbread is good for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Flatbread Recipe with Yeast
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar granulated
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour all-purpose
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water 100-110 degrees F
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes to active the yeast.
- Add flour, olive oil, and salt to the mixing bowl. Mix with a fork or wooden spoon until it has started to come together. Turn onto a floured flat surface and knead the dough for a couple of minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for 45 min – 1 hour.
- Cut the dough in half and roll out the dough. You should have 2 flatbreads to work with. The dough should be rolled quite thin for flatbread.
- At this point you can add any toppings to the flatbread. It is recommended that you brush the flatbread with a bit of olive oil before adding your pizza sauce.
- Bake the flatbread at 450 degrees F for 7-12 minutes. The flatbread edges will be light-golden brown, and the cheese will start browning when it's ready to come out of the oven.