Silicone mold bakeware is ideal for using in the fridge and freezer. It’s not the best for using in the oven, because silicone does not conduct heat like aluminum does. It’s best to use silicone molds for desserts that require chilling or freezing.
What desserts can you make with silicone molds
- Tartufo – layered ice cream
- Tempered chocolates
- Entremet – Layered mousse cake
- Chocolate cups
- Mini pies
- Mini cakes
- Mini cheesecakes
- Gummy bears
- Peanut butter cups
- Hot chocolate bombs
What other foods can you make in silicone molds
Some other foods you can make with silicone molds include:
- Ice cubes
- Mini pot pies
Can you make chocolate in silicone molds
Can silicone molds be used in the oven
Yes, you can use silicone molds in the oven safely. Silicone molds are very heat resistant, but always check the packaging to confirm the highest temperature you can use them at.
Does it take longer to bake in silicone
It does take longer to bake in silicone than with metal pans. Silicone does not conduct heat well, therefore it takes a lot longer to bake with silicone.
Darker molds can take longer to bake than lighter molds as well.
Always check cakes for doneness using a toothpick.
Do you put silicone bakeware directly on the oven rack
No, do not put silicone bakeware directly on the oven rack.
Use a cookie sheet underneath the silicone baking mold to stabilize it. It will be much easier putting it in and out of the oven with a cookie sheet under the silicone mold.
Is silicone bakeware better than metal
Silicone bakeware is not better than metal when baking in the oven. Silicone bakeware does not conduct heat. Aluminum baking pans are the best to use in the oven.
Do you need to spray silicone candy molds
You do not need to spray silicone candy molds.
Pop the candy out of the silicone mold by using your fingers to put it out. If you use a spray when using your silicone mold, you could have a greasy sheen to them, which isn’t ideal when making candy.
How to check if you have good pure silicone
To check if you have good pure silicone, perform the pinch test.
Pinch the silicone together and look at where it’s stretching. If your silicone changes color to white, it’s not pure silicone. Pure silicone will be a homogeneous color even when stretched and bent.
When baking with silicone molds, what is the highest and lowest temperature you can use them at
The highest temperature you can have silicone molds at in the oven is 200°C without damaging them. They can withstand higher temperatures, but they will start breaking down if held at temperatures higher than 250°C.
The lowest temperature silicone molds can handle is -60°C without breaking down.
Check your package insert for exact temperature abilities of your specific silicone molds before using at extreme temperatures.
What are the advantages of silicone bakeware
- Dishwasher safe
- Freezer safe
- Microwave safe
- Oven safe
How do you clean silicone bakeware
Use soap and water. Do not soak for extended periods of time. Wash quickly with soap and water or place in the top rack of the dishwasher to clean. Do not use abrasive cleaners on silicone.
Creating this layered ice cream dessert is called a “Tartufo”.
How to Remove Ice Cream from a Silicone Mold
How to make chocolate cups without balloons using silicone molds
Making chocolate cups without using balloons is easy to do if you have any silicone molds handy. It doesn’t really matter what shapes you have at home, as long as you’re happy with it and the sizing is appropriate for the dessert you’re making.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave using a heat proof bowl. Glass tends to work the best for melting chocolate in the microwave. Melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals and mix with a spoon until you have a smooth mixture. You’ll probably only need 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup of chocolate to make your chocolate cups.
- Paint the chocolate onto the inside of the silicone mold using a food safe brush. If you don’t have one, you can easily use a butter knife to spread the chocolate. Try to get it as evenly distributed as possible.
- Place the chocolate cup in the fridge for 30 min. It should have hardened up. You have the option of doing another layer of melted chocolate if you want, but you usually only need to do 1 layer to have enough chocolate for your chocolate cup.
- Gently peel away the silicone mold. This is easier if you do multiple layers of chocolate because it thickens up the edges where you are peeling the silicone from. Keep this in mind if you want your chocolate cups to be perfect.
- Place your chocolate cup in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
What to put in chocolate cups
18 foods you can put in chocolate cups:
- vanilla custard
- chocolate mousse
- raspberry mousse
- mocha mousse
- coffee mousse
- ice cream
- mandarin orange slices
- whipped cream
- ice wine
- hazelnut spread
- maraschino cherries
- iced coffee
- angel food cake
If you want to decorate the edging of your chocolate cup, you can use a bit of icing and pipe the icing around the edge of the chocolate cup. Pour sprinkles onto the icing to give it a decorative ring around the chocolate cup for a bit of added color, and make it eye catching.