What kind of food coloring do you use for dark colored macarons?
- Gel food coloring
- Powdered food coloring
*Do not use any water based food coloring as that will interfere. This is due to the macarons having a very specific liquid to dry ingredient ratio. By adding liquid to the macaronage this will throw off the recipe unfortunately making the macarons not turn out.
How to use gel food coloring for dark colored macarons?
- Use a toothpick to obtain a small amount of food coloring
- add food coloring to your initial egg whites
- add in your almond flour and icing sugar
- mix together until combined into a dark color
How to use powdered food coloring?
- Measure 1/4 teaspoon powdered food coloring
- And food coloring to egg whites
- mix with almond flour and icing sugar until fully combined
Flavors of dark colored macarons
- Oreo cookies and cream
- Salted caramel
- Red velvet
- Coffee and Bailey’s
- Chocolate hazelnut
- Dark chocolate truffle
Being able to create dark colored macarons will give your array of colors some depth to your guests eyes when they see them. They will be eye catching and people will wonder how you got such a dark colored macaron. Add your dark food coloring by using either gel or powdered food coloring to your egg whites. Then add your icing sugar and almond flour. Mix well until it’s fully homogenized color comes through. Creating these dark colored macarons will be a welcomed new addition to your palette of macarons.